RE: Damn! Anyone seen those "profits"? I think they left the

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 13:56:48 EDT

Well Japan esposes (or esposed) many of the same sentiments here; full
employment for all, job for life, protect companies from outside
competition, buy "home built" products, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sounds to
me like the "carrying, benovlent" government action that is being
espoused here.

As far as "built here so it has to remain here", I think that is
foolhardly and short sighted. This isn't "fortress America", and its
quite conceivable that someone elsewhere in the world is "doing
something better" than its done in the US. So if you ban takeovers of US
companies by foreign interests, then one of two things has to happen:

1) You let market forces run their course, and the US company is forced
out of business (or has no potential for growth, and is thus unable to
attract investment) by the better "foreign" company due to inferior
product/higher price/less features.
2) The government steps in and "protects" the company with tarrifs and
trade barriers, and then your "Japan comments" apply.

The alternative is to allow foreign takeovers, and realize that wow,
maybe someone else can improve the way things are being done and maybe
even make everyones life a bit better (better/cheaper products, more
sales/more employment). As a parting comment, service industry jobs such
as McDonalds and KFC are even better examples of why ownership doesn't
matter; you can't exactly move all of the McDonalds drive-thrus to Tokyo
if McDonalds was bought by a Japanese company...

Craig

        <snip>