Re: Tire Rotation

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 09:01:24 EDT

> Rotate the tires front to back. Keep them on the same side. Don't crisscross
> them.

  When it comes to the Dakota, I agree. This is the rotation pattern that
my owner's manual and FSM call for.

> Crisscrossing is not for radial tires. Crisscrossing used to be
> recommended when before radial tires. You can't spin a radial one way, then
> spin it the other.

  Not exactly true. Some modern FWD rotation schedules specify crossing
sides when rotating rear tires to front. If anybody wants to question me
on this, I'll be happy to scan and email the pattern from my wife's
'91 Nissan owner's manual. I think it's safe to say that this is not a
bias-ply pattern. Yes, it surprised me too, first time I saw it, but I've
seen it on some other sources as well.

> I did this once and I blew a tire. So, you can trust me on this.

  Are you sure this was the only cause of your blown tire?

  Ron