4wd

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 22:50:04 EDT

DML Folks:

We all seem to have different ideas of what part time 4wd is, so I toss in
my understanding of how my system works - 1997 Dak with part time 4wd.

2wd - power to rear wheels only .... but front axle and drive shaft is
turning ... no locking hubs, shift on the fly.

4wd H range - engaged transfer case supplies power to the front drive shaft
as well a rear ... both turn at the same speed (not for dry pavement ....
binds driveline on turns and breaks things)

4wd L range - same as above, except through reduction gear in transfer case
... hence low range...more power, less speed.

In the 'olden days', just after the era of covered wagons, 4x4's always
(except LandRover) had locking hubs so the front wheels could free wheel
because (1) heavy drive line ate fuel and power and (2) reduce wear on
front drive line when not required. A bit tricky to engage when you up to
your fenders in mud.

Dak doesn't need locking hubs because there is not sufficient drag in the
front driveline to signicantly reduce power or fuel and the new style front
drive can stand up to constant turning.

With the standard different, this is really 2wd .... on front and one rear
wheel. With posi-trac, you get three wheel drive...2 rear, one front.

Full Time 4wd has a differential between the front and rear drive shafts to
prevent binding on dry pavement, I presume this is the option foe 1998+.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada