Slick 50

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 19:32:42 EDT

------------------------------

>Date: 23 Sep 1998 09:44:27 -0700
>From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
>Subject: Re: DML: I need to find the perfect oil filter.

>I run (and recommend) the following:

>Oil: Mobil 1
>Filter: Fram (Double Guard after 9K miles)
>Protectant: Slick 50 (as soon as the truck hits 9Kmiles)

>Reasons: Having personally experienced a 318 blowing an oil line and dumping
>it's oil at the start of a 25 mile trip through heavy traffic (the oil idiot
>light was out) sold me on Teflon protectants. The motor was treated with
>Slick 50 30,000 miles earlier and the engine never seized up during the whole
>trip. When we got home, we noticed and "oil burning" smell from the
engine as
>some oil had splashed up on the motor when it dumped. My father then noticed
>the oil drips and found the broken hose. He disassembled the engine and
found
>ZERO damage done to the motor, even though we later discovered that it had
>lost the oil in the Mall parking lot (Big black stain on the asphalt).

>Shaun H.

------------------------------
Hey Shaun:

I was sold on Slick 50 until I did a bit of internet research. Net result
.... snake oil, waste of money.
Some even claim it shortens the life of your engine by blocking oil passages.

Check it out on the web, I'd be interested to hear if you still think it's
great.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.