Re: RE: Part Time 4wd

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 17:59:10 EDT

> <<AWD, or all-wheel drive, is a lot like 4ft except you cannot turn it
> off. often times these systems are designed EXCLUSIVELY for road use
> and are far less suitable for off-roading.>>
> Basically true but I've heard that Mercedes (I think) puts out an
> impressive AWD rig that uses the ABS brake system to keep power coming
> to wheels with traction... So they keep open diffs for great highway
> performance/manners while maintaining off-road traction that would put
> alot of 4x4's (including my Kota) to shame!
>
> T.

Okay, so I screwed up that last thing i wrote. I don't profess to be a
master of 4wd vehicles, jsut what I thought was right. I wil disagree on
the Mercedes part. I would rather have anything but the ABS system to be
used as traction control. Do you really want to be on the brakes while
going through mud, or any other off road terrain? Momentum is the key
here. I don't like the independant rear suspension, either. It seems like
they could have come up with a better idea...Such as the new Jeep Cherokee
has - Quadra Track II.

Brian