Re: Engine Size

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 15:21:44 EDT

> Having been on the list for about a year, my (informal) estimate is that
> the V-8s get about 11-13 mpg city slightly more hwy (again this is just a
> rough average, some get more, some not as good). The V-6s average about
> 16-18 mpg city. This works out to about 5mpg difference.

  Funny, I've posted my mileage figures on my '95 V-8 a few times.
I've kept extensive records ever since I bought this vehicle new, and
can track every gallon I've ever put in the truck.

  I get consistent ~17.5-18mpg combined highway/city mileage. I've seen
quite a few V-8ers with similar figures. The average MPG difference
between the 6 and 8 is closer to 2mpg, IMO. In '95, that was also the
difference between the 6 & 8 EPA ratings.

  The first biggest obstacle to mileage in my experience has been
heavy right foot, then trailer towing, then highway vs. city.

  Ron