(no subject)

From: (no email)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 17:09:35 EDT

> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:37:01 -0500
> From: droopie <droopie@bellsouth.net>
> To: DML <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
> Subject: DML: re:gm
> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:26:06 -0700
> From: JHambleton@diabloresearch.com
> Subject: DML: 1999 GM pick up

> Jon, from what I've read, the new GM trucks are pretty well advanced and
> are completely new. They wussed out on the sheet metal but mechanically
> they are sound. They are the first truck to offer STANDARD 4 wheel DISC
> brakes. Awesome stopping power. They now have the largest cab in the
> industry, at least extended cab. And the Vortec engine is NOT a 350.
> The Chevrolet small block as was introduced in the 50's is no longer
> with us. The LT-1 derivitive motors share little with the old standard
> small blocks of late..the 305 and 350. The LT-1 displaces about 350
> cubic inches. The 3 truck motors are all more powerful and get TONS
> better mileage than our Mopars and the old GMs. I saw where the 4.8
> base motor is rated at 300HP!!!!! Let's hope the new Mopar 4.7 can
> match those numbers. I'm not a GM fan, well, except for old Buick Big
> Blocks. I had an 88 Chevy and was glad to get rid of it after 1 year,
> but GM flexed some technical muscle here. Mopar is behind the curve now
> in interior fit and finish and power compared to Ferd and GM.
>
> --
> Drew Schofield
> 1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black

The LT-1 is completely different from the LT1 (no hyphen). The LT-1
was in 70 Vettes and Camaros, and was rated at 360 gross Hp. They
also had it in 71, I think it was 350 Hp then. The LT1 has reverse
coolant flow, and heads are not interchangeable with other small
blocks.

Don't know what the 4.8 is rated at, but it isn't 300 Hp, the 5.3 is
rated at 270, and the 6.0 is rated at 300.

|{eith R. Phelps

Cat..... the other white meat.