Re: Lockers - Attn: Bogie

From: Christopher Bogart (cbogart@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 20:22:22 EDT

Hey T. See comments

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Bogie,
>
> <<Anyone put lockers in their rig yet?>>
>
> Not yet... Was gonna' but after Tates fiasco I'm going to hold off for awhile.
> I just read there is a new generation of gearless lockers due out soon that are
> more what I'm looking for.

What exactly was Tates' fiasco. He did not elaborate. I guessed that there are no
lockers compatible with the 1997+ 29 spline axel drive whatever you call thems.

> <<Why are lockers not good for snow/ice?>>
>
> Never heard this... Lockers are great for the snow... As far as ice goes,
> anything short of chains or tire studs are not gonna' help you much.

Would it have anything to do with the turning on snow? In that the wheels cause
binding in a turn with a locked axel.

> <<Or is it front lockers that aren't good for snow ice?>>
>
> If you do a-lot of street driving, front lockers (except air lockers) are not
> recommended... I'm talking dry streets... If it's snow and ice it probably
> doesn't matter.
>
> <<And are lockers something you can have or not have, or once installed is it
> that when you go into 4wheel drive, they are locked? Cuz they have air
> lockers.>>
>
> Kind of a difficult question... Detroit lockers and Lock-Right lockers are
> supposed to disengage (unlock) mechanically when the vehicle is turning on the
> street... From what I've heard this is either an iffy or clunky proposition
> with the current generation of lockers. Air lockers are a different proposition
> entirely. If installed, you would actually have a switch in the cab of the
> truck that you would use to engage the lockers. When off -or- disengaged your
> differentials act as they were intended so there is no negative impact on street
> handling (this is why it's not a problem to install air lockers on the front
> diff). The downside of air lockers is they are expensive and more complicated
> (read more things to break!).
>
> <<And speaking of air, anyone mount an air compressor under the hood yet?>>
>
> Why would you?

To fill your's and your buddies tires back up when your done crawling. For Lockers.
For inflatable beds, boats/rafts, and what have ya.

> T.
>
> BTW I read one of your other posts that had a lengthy list of future mods...
> Did you win the lottery or something? :-)

No No. Got a pretty good job. Been working hard, Not married, No mortgage. Figured
better get it set up and these expenses out of the way before all that happens. And
I figure it'll take me a year or so to get them all in. Save the exhaust for after
my next smog. Then I got two years to git outta here!

Still haven't heard back on my PCM question. I guess it's a good mod to make even if
I never plan on being on a dragstrip!

Later,
Bogart