Re: most miles and 4X4 question

From: Boog318@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 09:16:29 EDT

Duff
I had an 87 3.9 4x4. I totaled it at 151.k on the engine. The engine still
ran like a top and had never been rebuilt. From what I know now, the rod
bearing and the main bearings were worn. It made alot of noise in the lower
end and my oil pressure ran lower than on my new 92 318 with only 64k. If I
hadnt hit that rock and crushed the frame, I'd still have the 87 with about
165k and I'd be looking at a rebuild.

Most late model engines have aluminun bearings (mains and rods) and these last
longer than the old copper/lead bearings. You may not need a rebuild until
200k.
Just dont go throwing any flush (like my stupid arse did) into your crankcase.

As for trannys. I had a 904 in my 87 and had it rebuilt once. The transfer
case needed to be adjusted because I couldnt get into 4 low. Take to the
tranny place and ask them to look at it. Its a simple adjustment.
Hope this heps ya.
Boog