Re: RE: Late Daks w/o CATs

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 15:53:31 EDT

At 08:28 AM 9/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:11 PM 9/29/98 , you wrote:
>
>><vent mode>
>
>Here we go again :-)

 Hee hee hee! Yep, we do seem to roll back to this a little too often,
don't we? :-)

>> IMHO, (and ITHO of thousands of scientists), cars don't pose an
>>emissions risk to the environment in the first place.
>

>I won't ask who these "thousands of scientists" are, but it's not just the
>(very real) environmental risks that are at issue. There are health
>concerns also. Remember the brown haze that used to blanket L.A.? Ever seen
>footage of the pollution that chokes Mexico City (where they don't have
>pollution laws)? You might debate how much this affects the environment
>overall, but there is no doubt that it poses a very real and dangerous
>health risk.

  Ok, yep you do have a point there. I'm certain there are localized
effects, I'm just not convinced that this stuff is having any effect
on a global scale. I'm certainly not against breathing clean air. Heck,
that's why I live out in the country!! There's not a city for 50 miles
from my house.

>>These EPA weenies have no idea what they're talking about,
>>but they don't hesitate to pass legislation to restrict our rights
>>based on their whims and power games. :-P
>
>And now for today's junior high government lesson :-) The EPA is not a
>legislative entity and has no power to pass *any* legislation. They may
>propose regulations, but it is Congress (speaking of whims and power games)

   Yeah, no kidding! (don't get me started) ;-)

>which passes these regulations into law. I'm sorry that your right to
>pollute the environment is being restricted, but what about the right to a
>clean non-polluted environment?

   Granted, I'm not 100% up on how they run things, but they are a
gov't agency, and however they do it, they seem to have a lot of power.
They seem to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want,
all under the guise of helping us poor slobs out.

    I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, I saw a report
on TV a while back (maybe a year ago?) where there was a town that was
basically built on a landfill or a dump or something along those lines
which had a supposedly dangerous chemical in it. There is a town in
Germany with the exact same situation. The Germans built a park there,
and have been living with absolutely no problems and side effects for
many many years. However, the EPA in its infinite wisdom, drove
everyone in the town out of their homes, bulldozed the homes into
the ground, then scraped up all the dirt, trucked it away to an
incinerator, where they burned it and then brought it back to the town.
The bill for this little fiasco was in the hundreds of millions of
dollars. So what the heck was that all about??? What makes it even
more sickening is that the whole thing was completely unnescessary in
the first place! All the tests showed no contamination, etc... But,
it kept the EPA running for a little while longer. IMHO, when
something like this happens, its a pretty good indicator of an agency
gone haywire, and with WAY too much power.

   I guess what I object to most is the general "knee jerk" reaction
that this agency (in fact many govt agencies in general) have toward
dealing with problems. Rather than do a proper study and consider the
shortand long term problems, they just pass a new regulation by ramming
it through congress, or however they do it. The "solutions" seem to
cause more problems than the "problem" they were trying to fix!

  I'm certainly not against a clean environment; what I am against is
the people who use this platform as a political tool; using fearmongering
and hatred to advance their career, when really, they could care less
about the environment. Its just a means to an end for them.

>Standard Disclaimer: Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

  Ditto. :-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |