Re: Creaking noise? HELP!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 03 1998 - 02:59:25 EDT

At 02:54 PM 10/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Well you see, shortly after I installed the JBA headers on my truck I
>started hearing this creaking/groaning noise that I thought was coming from
>the exhaust pipes and appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. I
>only hear this upon accelartion. Thinking it was my fault, I took my truck
>in to a local exhuast shop to see what the problem was. They reported
>nothing is wrong with my exhaust system. They grabbed the pipes and shooked
>them and yanked them every which way and could not reproduce this sound.
>Since I have installed headers and a flowmaster on my truck I don't think
>Dodge will warrenty my exhaust system anymore, so I just wanted to find out
>if this is my problem or thier problem before I took it in. Thanks!!!

    I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or
not, but when I did some exhaust work a short time ago, I got a rattle
at exactly 3,000 rpm; any higher or any lower and it'd go away. My
problem was that some pieces were loose, and apparently the resonance
at 3,000 was enough to get 'em vibrating. Again, I'm not sure if
this is anything like what's happening to you, just thought I'd
post it just in case.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |