Re: Re: Cranking up the Torsion Bars

From: Walter_Felix (Walter_Felix@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 04 1998 - 23:01:37 EDT

I'm in the process of gathering the parts for this conversion myself. I
have found that a Dana 44 front axle from an 78 or 79 Bronco or F150 will
fit well. The Bronco uses coil spring with drag links in the front. The
frame on a Bronco is 34" wide. A Dakota is 36" between the front wheels.
With 4" lift coils, I can compensate for the 2" difference in width. The
bronco has coil pockets, drag link mounts and shock mounts bolted to the
frame. My plan is to remove the upper control arms from my truck and mount
the coil pockets in their place. I can reuse most of the Bronco suspension
and steering components. I would just have to fabricate mounts for the back
of the drag links because the Dakota's frame is about 40" wide at that point
where the Bronco's is 34" front to rear.

Other benefits of the Dana 44 Axle is the larger 5 lug bolt pattern, Manual
Hubs and a wide selection of gears and lockers.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dakota Sport 4x4
WWW.GeoCities.Com/MotorCity/Downs/9219