Re: High-end acceleration

From: William Blount Arthur (m990198@nadn.navy.mil)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 21:23:53 EDT

It is probably the transmission gearing. For instance, I have a 3.55
rear. So second gear shifts out at around 78 mph. When it shifts into
third, it is only turning around 2900 rpm or so. The truck really doesnt
get into its power band until 3250 or so. So that first little bit of
third gear is going to be hard for the engine to turn over as fast as what
it was doing from 50-80. The 4 speed autos shift into 2nd at about 45 or
so so you were really getting into your engines power band and you had
lower gears at that point. The way the camaros are geared, they can get
very high speeds in the low gears, so while they suck off the line, they
really get moving at higher speeds. I am assuming that you have a 3.55
rear too. One last thing, remember that drag is a function of speed and
your truck has about 2 times the frontal area of that camaro. Keep
showing those guys whats up!

Bill
'97 SS/T