Re: High-end acceleration

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 22:46:50 EDT

At 08:40 PM 10/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I realize that some will have safety issues with this, please direct
>them via private e-mail. For those of you w/ badges, I came up with the
>following question w/ theoretical math.

  Hey, did you use the same formula that you use to calculate
air cleaner bolt lengths? (sorry, low blow) ;-)

>I ended up "playing" with a Camaro/Firebird, newest body style, driving
>from East St.Louis over into Mo. My acceleration from 50 to 80 happens
>in the blink of an eye, so going about 80, I pull up next to him, and we
>both floor it. Like I said, from 50 up I had no problem keeping w/ him,
>but when we hit it going 80, he was gone! I was left standing, barely
>accelerating at all. Why is it when I hit it going 50, 60, even 70,
>there is a jolt of power, but none at about 80 and above? I assume this
>is a tranny/rear end thing?

   Probably the tranny gearing plays a role, but I suspect the major
cause is the ol' "aerodynamics of a brick" demon coming back to bite
you. I'm not certain of the exact relationship, but I *think* that
the force required to push through air goes up as the square of the
velocity. (So, if going 50mph requires 10HP, going 100MPH would
require not 20HP, but 100HP.)
   The new F-body is pretty slippery; disregarding the weight differences,
(something else it has in its favor) it takes less horsepower at a given
speed to push the chebby through the air.) We don't have a chance
at speed; we've gotta rely on a good holeshot and a strong low end
to try and get us across the 1/4mi mark first.

>p.s. All of the above is fictional. :-)

   But of course it is. BWWWAAAAAAHAAHAAHAHAAAAA! ;-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |