Re: RE: Fuel Pressure Regulators

From: Whit (bigdog@netdog.com)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 20:43:17 EDT

At 04:44 PM 10/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Whit,
>I don't know if anyone makes an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the
>Magnum, but I would think that it would almost be a moot point. The
>regulator is built
>into the fuel pump assembly, and additionally, there is a transducer that
>sends signals to the engine controller on what the fuel pressure is and the
>controller
>adjusts the injector pulse width accordingly. If you wanted to increase the
>pressure, you would need to run an in-line fuel pump downstream of the
>transducer. If
>you chose to go this route, you could run just about any aftermarket
>regulator in conjunction with the in-line pump...

I'll buy that. So tell me this, what does a hi performance PCM do with
this function. I assume it takes those same pressure readings and
correlates a longer pulse width thus pushing in more fuel?

Here's the deal. I have additional volume (both stroke and bore) in my
cylinders and I have larger injectors as well. The result is that I am not
getting enough fuel into the cylinders (I have not checked this but will as
soon as I figure out how to). It sounds as though I could use an inline
pump to boost the pressure (hence the volume of fuel) and trick the
computer by putting it after the transducer. BTW, where is the transducer?
 Probably not the ideal way to solve this but it seems cheaper than
reprogramming the PCM whenever I make modifications. Thanks.

Whit