Re: RE: short throw shifters

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 01:28:56 EDT

New Venture Gear is now an independant company, specializing in manual
transmissions and automotive powertransfer.
It was indeed started as a joint venture between GM and Chrysler. In the
late 80's, both GM and Chrysler believed that
the lifespan of the manual transmission was getting smaller, so they decided
to pool the resources. That way, when production
volumes started dwindling, they would be making the same boxes for GM and
CC, therefore, keeping production volumes up there.
Unfortunately, manual sales in most segments of the markets keep falling
(i.e. people are getting lazy!). Also, it's more difficult to make
an engine w/ a manual tranny meet ever stiffening emmissions. Unless there
is a renaissance in personal accountability and driver
control, the demise of the manual will probably happen in the next ten years
(Sniff......). When that happens, I will buy last production
car or truck to come with a stick and that will be my last new vehicle
purchase ever. Three cheers to the manual........
hip hip gearslam!
hip hip gearslam!
hip hip gearslam!

Gary Pinkley
97 Reg Cab V-6 5 spd
lowered monochrome red
255/50-17 BFG Comp T/A ZR4
Budnik 17x8 wheels

--><< Yeah, I do recall something about that Chevy/Dodge venture. >>