Towing question 4 tranny gurus

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 11:31:21 EDT

   My roomate just bought a couple of monster waverunners. These things are
small boats (Yamaha GP1200's). Anyway, I towed them back to our place last
night and the Dak barely seemed to notice they were back there.
   The question is, on flatter terrain like freeways and such, do you think
leaving the Dak in O/D will bother the tranny? As I said, I did and the Dak
didn't seem to mind it at all (no weird sounds or engine struggling sound
either). When I turned onto the surface streets and headed towards the hills
that our house is on, I kicked the O/D off which seemed to work fine since I
never exceeded 50 mph (it flew right up the hillside at 50 towing this 1000lb
trailer and 300lbs in the bed).
   I don't want to damage the O/D gear, but I don't think these waverunners
are that much of a load for the truck on flatter terrain. Am I nuts for doing
this?

Shaun H.