Re: 46RE & 46RH Difference was: Short throw shifters -R

From: rking@jjsnack.com
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 16:45:52 EDT

     Thanks! I wanted to bring up another issue about my tranny. It is the
     one component on the truck that has been disappointing. It is perhaps
     the worst auto I have ever driven. Especially at issue is part
     throttle kick-down. It takes alot of accel pedal movement to get it
     to kick down a gear to pass or to just pick up the pace. Especially
     noticable on the highway (usu. I drive with O/D on as one might
     expect). I can be going 70 - 75 on the interstate at about 1/4
     throttle and go to pass someone and gradually depress the pedal to try
     to initiate a downshift. Sometimes I get the downshift but often not
     until I slam the padal all the way to the floor. Often when I do
     finally get a down shift it will shift down two gears instead of one
     (which is all I really need) and for a brief couple of moments the
     engine wails up to 5200 -5300 rpm before shifting back up. It's kind
     of like rolling the dice to see what the trans will give you. I see
     alot of the engine's power being squandered with this erratic trans
     action. The trans has a shift kit by Level 10 and this does well in
     firming shifts and staying on schedule when accelerating strongly from
     a dead stop. But when it comes to shifting up and down in traffic, I
     want my manual tranny back!

                        Rob