RE: Need help with front end clunk

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 14:33:34 EDT

A friend of mine has a 97RC 4x2 that, at 31,000 miles, needed to have the
balljoints replaced (presumably due to wear). Neither he nor I recall the
sound you mention, but his problem was caught by the dealer during a checkup
just prior to the warranty expiring. After they were replaced, the steering
was much tighter. Are you getting any play in your steering wheel? You
might want to have the ball joints checked, it's possible (I'm guessing
here, so anyone who knows more than me, feel free to correct) that when you
turn, the joints separate slightly due to wear, then snap back together when
you turn the other way....Just something to have checked out.

David Gloff