A lesson in courtesy...

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 12:05:53 EDT

   It's one thing to post up sarcasm, it's another to post up sheer rudeness.
 I wasn't too thrilled by some of the posts regarding Jules and the
assumptions they made, but that's fine, people are entitled to their opinions.
 After reading Jules's response I was bothered so much by the whole affair
that I have to post this up.
   Common courtesy is sadly lacking anymore in the world. It seems like we
don't think before we speak (or in this case type) these days. Even if I was
100% certain that a person I was going to talk about wouldn't hear what I have
to say, I would still temper my comments to the critque and not to insults.
This is made even worse by the fact that Jules had NOT left the list. If I
were him I would've been PO'd too: but that does not excuse his response
either. I'm not talking about the fun and games we trade around here, I'm
talking about serious painful remarks.
   When one person speaks, they are voicing only their opinions and not those
of everyone on the list. So let me make this clear, this is only my opinion,
but that whole thread was one of the worst I've seen on the list. As a
businessman, Jules has the right to charge what he wants and treat his
customers how he wishes, his business success will reflect what he does. If
you've been treated poorly, you may certainly post up how you were treated and
your dislike for that treatment. In turn you may or may not get a response if
that person is also on the list. If 20 people all climb on the wagon with
"Ditto", well, then I guess we all know what to expect if we try to do
business with that person and the issue is over with.
   By reading the response post from Jules I'd have to ascertain that he must
be very rich and has all the customers he can handle, because that was by far
the most unprofessional rebuttal post I've ever seen. If anyone on this list
was considering doing business with him, I'm certain they are reconsidering it
now, I know I have. Again, in my opinion, the best response to criticism or
insults is not to "Return Fire" but to address any 'real' issues brought up by
the critic in a clear and fair manner. If they were being jerks about it, it
becomes all the more apparent when the person being insulted takes it in
stride and responds in a proper professional manner.
   I'm far from "Mr. Manners" and don't usually post this kind of thing up,
but that whole thread was bad and only got worse. It got to the point where I
was offended and I'm not one to be walked on without speaking up. I'll turn
the soapbox over to someone else, I get nosebleeds up here.

Shaun H.