Good All Season Tires

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 15:01:34 EDT

Dave

You don't want to run too wide or too low profile tires in
snow and ice ... too much flexing in the sidewalls
doesn't help with traction under those conditions.

I run Dunlop Radial Rovers P-metric, 235/75 x 15 on
AR-211 15 x 7 rims, in the spring, summer and fall.
I chose the tires because of their dry and wet
handling capabilities (rated #1 according to Consumer Reports).
I chose 235/75 to fill the wheel wells (outside diameter is
about 29.1") a bit more and to keep treads within the
wells.

For winter, I run Bridgestone Blizzaks, same size, mounted on the
stock 15 x 7 aluminum rims. They are great for traction,
especially on ice. One downside with Blizzaks is that they really
don't like heat ... I put them on as late as possible and
remove them as early as possible. They should last about
3 winters.

If deep snow and icy conditions are the norm, it's best to
run all seasons in the summer AND winter radials in the winter.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
tigers@bserv.com

Current: '97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3,55 auto., Gibson dual, K&N filter element.
          '85 Shelby Turbo Charger, 2.2L, manual.
          '70 Challenger, 383-4bbl, auto.
Past: '71 Road Runner, 340-4bbl, auto.
       '70 Duster 340, auto.