Re: Emission Laws

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 02:52:51 EDT

Where in Colorado? emission laws here vary by county... Denver being the
most strict.. there are 'E' zones (extended testing) and 'B' zones (basic
testing) (that's what the letters on the windshield stickers mean) judging
my your e-mail address, I'm thinking

I can't speak for the 'E' zones... never lived in one... Colorado Springs is
a 'B' zone... and they didn't have any problem there with my K&N on my '96
Ram, and it wasn't "certified" yet...

I now live in Fremont county (no testing), but commute to El Paso county
every day... so I will have to pass the 'B' test if I get caught commuting
to El Paso Co...

As for it working... I ran a K&N on my '96, and also ran one on my '98 Ram
before they were 'certified'... they work fine....

I have never heard that they couldn't touch anything in front of the cat
unless it was malfunctioning, but I have heard of a federal law prohibiting
replacement of the cat under 50,000mi unless it's malfunctioning.

Now that I've participated, I should introduce myself... I live near
Penrose, Co but work in Colorado Springs @ MCIWorldcom. I put about 500mi a
week on my '98 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Quadcab 5.9L...I have also owned a '96 Ram
1500 ST 4x2 Club Cab 5.2L when I lived in Phoenix. I subscribe to the DiRT
list, but heard that DML is geared more towards power modifications... alot
of discussions on DiRT deal with towing and accessorizing... alot of Diesel
and V10 owners on the list...

Gary Shook