Re: Dakota Specs.

From: V8dakLECC@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 11:05:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/98 9:35:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
V8dakLECC@aol.com writes:

<< Hey guys.

 I found this older review of the 97 Dakota. It has a ton of specifications
 that you don't see in too many places. Of particular interest was the tranny
 specs. Accordind to this article the 44RE which the 97-up has is a wide
ratio
 version of the 46RE. With lower first gear. I don't know how accurate this
 is but, it is interesting.

 http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/1996-Dodge-Dakota/1996-Dodge-
Dakota.html

 Wouldn't it be great if we could get this type of detailed spec sheet for
each
 of the generations of daks (including the R/T) posted on the DML Home Page?

 Richard Lewis
 92, LE CC, 318, Auto >>

Yeah, I know, I'm replying to my own post! But....

Here are the 46RH/E (92 Model if it matters) vs. 44RE (published) ratios:
         46RH/E 44RE
1st: 2.74:1 2.45:1
2nd: 1.54:1 1.54:1
3rd: 1.00:1 1.00:1
4th: 0.69:1 0.69:1

It appears that this review uses the term "wide ratio" incorrectly (or did I
mis-intetpret it). The 44RE Ratios are closer on the bottom end than the
46RH/E.

This ratio difference may play a role in some of our discussions of certain
mods as they relate to E.T. at the track. Some mods may help/hurt the
differently ratioed trucks because of their effect on a HP/Torque in a certain
RPM range.

This is just something to keep in mind. As we are alway discussing rear-end
ratios, etc, and making the assumption thst the tranny gearing is all the same
(at least I thought it was).

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto