Problems with engine code

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 19:30:06 EDT

      Okay here's the situation: I got a terrific price on a stinger 150 amp
alternator with adjustable regulator. I buy the thing and I installed it last
night. It works wonders for my underpowered electrical system, but now the
check engine light is on. The reason it's on is because there is a sensor that
is supposed to detect the field coil voltage on the alternator. Now that it is
regulated externally, I had to disconnect the sensor from the alternator and
since it can't detect a voltage i'm getting a 41 diag code. I know what's
causing it all I have to do is figure out how to trick the computer into
thinking it has a good field coil voltage. Everytime I hook it into the
alternator field coil it overrides the regulator and i get 18 volts output @ 4
grand.

Now finally the question: Anyone have enough know-how about Dakota truck
electrical systems to tell me what kind of signal this sensor may be looking
for?? I have the wiring diagram but there is no hint of what voltage or what
signal the thing is looking for. I really don't wanna have to drive around
with that light on....

Austin

Vipertruck with an engine light