Wheels [reply]

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Oct 25 1998 - 09:19:09 EST

Brad

The stock 15x7 wheels have backspacing of about 5 1/2".

The following are approximate specs.

                 Tread Width Section Width Diameter

P215/75x15 5.9 8.5 27.8

P235/70x15 6.6 9.5 28.2

P275/60x15 8.1 10.8 28.0

Try to firm the above specs. up at a Goodyear dealer.

I went through quite a bit of measuring and spec. collection
when I got new rims and tires in Feb. '98. Here are my
conclusions.

With 5 1/2" backspacing and a 8.5" rim, the outer edge of the
rim will be beyond the front wheelwell lip by about 3/4".
The bulge in the 275/60 will be about 1 1/4" beyond the front
lip. This may be the look that you want. 8" rims would not
stick out as much and they would be closer to the ideal of
matching tread width with rim width.

With 5 1/2" backspacing, I would have 2 concerns.
If you look at one of the front wheels, you will notice
that the end of the upper A-arm (?) is very close to inner
sidewall of the tire. I don't know if there would be
enough clearance with the extra section width of the 275/60.
The extra tread width of 275/60 may cause clearance problems
during a full turn. Dodge does say that the widest tires that
you can run with their stock 15" rims is 235/70.

If the above is correct, going with a 5" backspacing would
be out.

Maybe some DMLers are running with combo that you looking at
and make this all moot.

Good Luck!