Vee-dub

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 12:28:34 EST

>But Fleg. I guess it would make a difference as to what your definition of
>offroad is. If you're just driving through the desert that's one thing, but
>I can't see you taking a VW to scale the mountains in Utah. It would get
>seriously damaged underneath with all the rocks and such. We've taken the
>'95 through some pretty serious mud puddles that would envelope a small car.

>It all boils down to what you want to use your vehicle for. Mind you, it
>sure would be nice to have a nice lowered R/T as well. Damn, see what you
>guys are making me wish for. :)

>Norah
------------------------

Gotta disagree with you Norah. I have a '60s VW beetle and I used to go
everywhere with it. It had 6" of ground clearance and it was flat
underneath, kinda like a giant skid pan. It took a dent or two. A 4x4 dak
has 7" of ground clearance with skid pans over the front differential and
the fuel tank. Whenever the mud or snow lifted the beetle's real wheels
off the ground (so they spun), we'd get out and push or lift. Never had to
be towed out.

I had studded snow tires (and chains ... never used them) and in the snow
(especially if icey), actually was able to go further than many of the
4x4's of that era.

Rob