Re: Performance Intakes question

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 14:36:22 EST

> Being the gearhead I am, I thought to myself, with all this TBI and=
 plenium
>modifications being done, what if somebody came up with a dual TBI system.=
 I=20
>know that working on 1 TBI is easier, but having 2 TBI's that put out less
>CFM's
>per unit would have better benefits on the mid thru upper ranges of the=
 rpm's.=20
>Is there anybody that could build or mold such a system? How would this=
 affect=20
>computer outputs if the sensors are connected up parallel to each other,=
 cause=20
>the computer would only read as 1 signal. Are intakes such as a dual TBI
>system=20
>even fesible or workable- it seems like it would work, because I read once
>that=20
>there is a company in California that is making a 4-TBI system that works=
=20
>wonders on the little Neon, and it's suppose to be 50 state legal.=
 Jules--any=20
>input on dual TBI units or workability? It would be sure COOOL to open the
>hood=20
>and see 2 TBI's

  Yep, I think its do-able. Sean Meldrum had a CAD drawing up of a=20
"prototype" for the Magnum engines. You can't see it now since he took
down his pages, but it was pretty cool. :-) Basically a "6-pak" using
V6 TBIs and an M1 intake. (Or a combination of 1 V8 and 1 V6, 1 V8 and=20
2 V6's, I forget now.) Its an interesting idea, that's for sure. =20
Besides the fine tuning, I think the biggest obstacle to overcome would be=
=20
the resulting lean condition from all that exra air. (I think Jules already
posted about this suggesting a nozzle to shoot the required amount of fuel
down the intake to keep the A/F ratio in line. That sounds like the=20
road I'd explore too.) =20

  As far as the sensors go, I suspect that you could probably just ignore
the sensors in all but one of the throttle bodies. The computer would only
need to control one of the IAC motors to keep the idle in line. I suspect
that the TPS and the MAP sensors would read pretty much the same anyway,=20
but you could always use a chip or a circuit to average the readings from=20
those sensors before feeding them to the PCM. But I think that only one=20
IAC should be used... That's what the PCM is expecting, and if you're=20
using 3 throttle bodies, every adjustment the computer makes would let=20
3x the air in that the computer "expects". (Just making broad guesses=20
here; I don't know if the computer has any idea how much the rpm should
change for each "step" of the IAC motor.) At any rate, its probably simpler
to just plug the IAC cavity on 2 of 'em...

  Yep, I'd say its doable. It sounds like a heck of a lot of fun too!! =20
All it would take is some money and some time... Unfortunately, I have=20
neither. :-)

 Of course, another issue that comes into play is, "do we really need=20
all that air?" Probably not, unless you've got a highly modified engine...
Heck, it'd be worth it just to be able to pop the hood and show people your=
=20
Dak 6-pak. :-)

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 -Jon-

=A0 |=A0 Affiliations: DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA.=A0 RP-SEL=A0=

=A0 | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55),=A0 '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
=A0 `----------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'