Re: 44RE, 46RE, 47RE

From: Whit (bigdog@netdog.com)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 10:53:35 EST

At 01:09 AM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes the 46 re will bolt up but make sure you get one for the same year so the
>electrical connections will be the same. You may have a length problem, I
think
>the 46 is a little longer, but you can have the drive shaft shortened also the
>out put shaft is larger on the 46 than the 44 so you will need a new yoak. You
>shouldn't have a problem with the pcm either. The first gear in the 44's are
>2.74 and the 46's are 2.54 ( i think ).
>You don't want the 47. It is a very large heavy truck trany I think it is
>called the A 640.

Thanks for the info. I have an NP249 transfer case and am wondering if the
output shaft from the tranny is the proper length and diameter. Do any of
the 96 Dakotas come with 46RE in '96 and is there any markings on these
trannies so I can recognize one in a junk yard. I'll probably have better
luck finding one out of a Ram.

Whit