Re: Dakota crash

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Sun Nov 01 1998 - 11:19:30 EST

(It's Jason this time)

-----cut---------

> On an unrelated note, from looking at the data, it appears that your
>chances of surviving a multiple vehicle accident are significantly
>higher than for a single vehicle accident. I don't know what that
>says exactly, but I found it interesting.

I think it's because they've scaled it so that the average sits at 100. The
way I understood it, the Dak doesn't have 77 deaths per so many vehicles,
but it has 77% of the average.

I'm just looking at the legend on the right side, where is says

        Driver Death Rates
        as stated in relative terms -- 100 represents average

And then there's this section:

        Average driver death rates per 10,000 registered vehicle years:
        Overall agerage = 1.0 deaths per 10,000 = 100
        Multiple-vehicle average = 0.6 deaths per 10,000 = 100
        Single-vehicle average = 0.5 deaths per 10,000 = 100

(which doesn't add up, BTW) Since this is per registered vehicle years and
not per crashes, it combines the crash survivability with how often the
vehicles get into crashes in the first place.

The lower numbers in the multiple vehicle column I think just mean that
trucks are more likely to survive when crashed into by cars.

This paragraph is somewhat interesting:

        Rates are presented in relative terms -- each overall result indicates
        driver deaths per 10,000 registered vehicle years compared with the
        average result for all passenger vechiles.

So not only would this seem to indicate that the Dakota more survivable than
other compact pickup trucks, but it's more so than the average of *all*
passenger vehicles. Volvo, eat your heart out :-).

BTW, has anyone looked at who is paying for all of this crash data to be
collected? The list of the companies doing this research reads like the
"auto insurance" section of the yellow pages. There's no conflict of
interest or anything there, oh, no.

Jason