Were's the beef? Was no Reg. test-rained out

From: Whit (bigdog@netdog.com)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 12:39:52 EST

Bad news, good news. The bad news is that Mopar is WAY behind in the
technology race. Look at the LS1, an all aluminum engine with ports that
allow you to look right through the head, composite manifold, etc..... We
won't even talk about what the Japanese have done. What is the 360? Parts
still bolt on (with a little modification) from 20 years ago. The good
news is that the heads are good enough to make decent hp. It's just that
the cam is the wimpiest thing around. I just finished rebuilding a '96
360. I used the RT cam, ported the heads and intake, added headers,
balanced, blueprinted and a custom 3" exhaust. What a dissapointment! I
wanted to use smog legal parts but I'm pissed that it is still a dog and
gets crappy gas mileage. To add validity to my comments, I am running a
stock '96 in my '89 Cherokee at it screams in comparison to the 360 and
gets 4 mpg better gas mileage.

So back to what I think is the big problem, the cam. I don't have the
stock cam specs but let's look at the RT cam,
Cam specs 204/208 duration at .050 and .458/.467 lift with 1.6 ratio
rockers. That's their high performance cam, Pathetic!!!

I'm not sure why they have chosen to build such a mild engine but my guess
is that either they were having emision problems with more cam or mileage
problems using outdated technology. I think it is time for Mopar to invest
in a little R&D to catch up. I know they can do it, they did after all
make the Hemi and the V10. How about a new all aluminum small black Hemi
with all the latest technology. Now that would be something.

Whit