RE: Wrecked Dakota & nerf bars

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 18:08:44 EST

New update on this is that the adjuster finally made it out to the body shop
yesterday and wrote up the quote though I have not seen it yet. I drove by
the shop this morning and it is no longer in the side yard so I suspect that
it is now in the shop getting ready for surgeory. I'm going to do what I can
to get a picture of it once the door, and side panel, possible front fender
and bed have been removed. Should be pretty sickly looking though will be
good for the scrap book. I have not heard anything on the suspension and
until he gets it on the frame rack he will not know for sure what is wacked
and what is not. The shop owner said that on the quote was a new tire and
wheel. I half expected the tire, but not the wheel. He said that there was a
small nick in it. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the wheel, have
it checked for cracks or bends, and keep it as a spare.

<snip>
The nerf bar did seem to take some of the impact judging by the photos,
though I'm surprised that it that it didn't hold up better. I have seen
nerf bars, that were mounted directly to the frame, that faired far better
on a side impact. The whole purpose of a nerf bar is to provide impact
protection to the rocker panels of the truck (though most people put them on
to use as a step). I have always questioned the durability of the bars that
hang off of the cab mounts and judging by the photos, that bar bent down
further then it should have. I would also question what it did to your cab
mounts.
<unsnip>

I admit that these bars are really nothing more than pretty steps, and as I
do not of road very much (read that as I'm still dying to go) I bought them
more as steps than body protection. If I ever slide over a rock with them,
they will more than likely fold up and then I will wish I had frame mounted
bars. I do not believe that they heldup very well because the hanger strap
is pretty light weight and only uses a single, though heavy, screw to attach
it to the body mount. I'm not too worried about the body mounts as the shop
that is doing the work, I have complete faith in. The owner is from the old
school and I know that the truck will be fixed right when he hands me the
keys. Erich I believe can back me on that one.