Re: Torsion Bars?

From: Jon Smith (dak_95@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 19:08:37 EST

I got glasspacks and duals put on today, much more down low power. this
is surely to speed up the need for tires, which I plan on 31x10.50
general AT's. In which case they will prob rub a little (56k, looks
like the front end has sagged a little), so I plan on cranking the
T-bars until things quit rubbing.

I'm still fuzzy about the actual posses of cranking the T-bars so please
correct me.

1) Jack up the front end
2) Go to the rear of the t-bars where they are attached to the frame
3) Turn the mounting bolt Counter c-wise (loosen) ?????
4) Stop every half dozen turns or so and check the clearance.

>From looking at the setup, that is how I think it is done. Noone at the
local dealership(s) has a clue as to what I'm talking about. Their ASE
certified truck mechanic's response was " All I know is that it'd be
easier if you had an old chevy or ford with a solid front axle" -->
Jon's truck will never be worked on there!!!

The CV axles are lighter duty than the 91+ models, they almost look like
left over Daytona parts. Despite the difference in the diameter in the
shafts, the boots are fairly similar. I have observed that the boots
don't
hold up as well after cranking the torsion bars. If the boot gets
punctured
or rips, you can get dirt and moisture in there, increasing the wear

<snip, snip>

Jon Smith
95 CC SLT 4x4x318
ICQ # 9720504