Re: 4.7L Shift Torque Management... was: Farewell Chrysler

From: Jules Glogovcsan (jghunter@nol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 14 1998 - 18:40:35 EST

----------
> From: Rekker21@aol.com
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Farewell Chrysler

> << did you experience the inj cut out at near wot w/timing retard? >>

> No, I didnt notice anything of the sort. I was in a Grand Cherokee doin'
> break torque and jumpin up to about 65, then WOT again on the Eway for a
short
> while just to get a good feeling of the new motor =0) and I never came
across
> any inj cut!
> Eric

oh, darn!... did i make ANOTHER mistake... shootin' off my big mouth...
prematurely again?!?... maybe... ooppps!, huh?!?

...and i quote: ;-)

"FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

The 4.7L's fuel injection system has some sophisticated features which are
aimed at... (continued)

For smooth shifts and to extend component life, the PCM (now called a JTEC
plus; ed) uses something called shift torque management. During upshifts
(sounds to me like spirited useage... ) near wide-open throttle, the PCM
retards spark and shuts off fuel to every other cylinder. To protect
components, the PCM also practices engine rpm management in relation to
transmission stall speed. This helps protect components if an operator
rocks the vehicle or if the transmision is shifted into Drive from Neutral
at higher rpm."

a drawing representing the pcm... shows inj# 1,4,6,7, lit up with inj#
8,3,5,2 shut down (dead)

caption: figure 47 - During upshifts near wide-open throttle, the PCM
retards the spark and shuts off fuel to every other cylinder.

my source:

4.7L Engine Highlights
page 15
#9, September '98
MASTERTECH
Chrysler Motors

i take such publications seriously...

did i read it wrong... or possibly mis-quote...? don't the tech center guys
have access to this info from cc... i'm just a bump on the log downtown
here in greaseville and i got it... :-) (no flames intended, please, 'cept
maybe at myself :))

my prediciton: a drag racer's future creed... "... love that new shift
torque management engine rpm management system!, shore 'nuff do!" "if an
operator rocks the vehicle or if the trans..." [{rocks the vehicle... like
in the beach box? heating up tires at part throttle, upper mid-range...
could be... good-bye 4 injs... to safe guard your components...:(] really
gettin' good service life out of my tires now during my bleach box heat
up... running 'em two extra seasons, now... ya' know! ;-)

say... what were your 60-ft times...?

ohhh.... good... ranged from 3.9 to 5.6 secs... depending on my "rocked
quotient" and the engine rpm management attitude at the moment... how was
yours?.... (... kept the tire heat down though) ohh, real fast... 20+
seconds +/-... i'm very pleased... :)

well... just my personal thots... eric drove it, i didn't... sounds like he
drove it unaware of these matters... maybe it is all so smooth that you
can't feel it... (i doubt it) 1/2 fuel delivery gone... and you can't feel
it... like wow... tbi automatically closes to 1/2 position at WOT... but
fear not, pal!... can't even feel it! WOW!... it MUST be one hell of an
engine... these points are only the tip of the iceberg... read the 4.7L
engine highlights book... few will be working on it under the proverbial
shade tree... but now if you got a millineum maximus high tech wrench
center with all the (those) specialized tools and DR-whatever's computer
stuff... aka, your 'ol single-car garage on the side of the house...not a
problem... "just a min, hon... computer re-booting... dropped the rpm
management file... yeah, go ahead...set the table.... french on my salad...
will bring the hard copy in... we can go over it together...:)... let's see
if we can save some more of the engine's components... gotta keep it in
warranty, ya know... gonna be easy on the ol' tire pocketbook..."

i have only commented on my personal thots...about the 4.7L's worst case
possible senario, as i possibly see it... we may all come to love our
dakotas we can't work on... too much... i'm just real sure of it... love it
or hate it... my dodge pro sources say: this engine is gonna coming to
YOUR dakota dealer...soon.

oh, did i tell you the pcm is tied directly to the rear axle antilock break
controller.... which derives data from an average of the two rear-wheel
speed sensors... gee, how am i gonna override the high mph govenor... mine
quits at 75...

4.10's... sure... dakota... no problem... year and engine... ohh...
sorry... non-modifiable, you know...

wait til you read about the new 4.7L's 3 piece engine block system with the
new bedplate.... it's REAL jazzy... cause it carries the mains and their
running clearances like in the .0015 - .0025 range... and that is
controlled in part by the way... and the amount of bedplate gasket sealer
you use... "install exactly 1min... 23 1/2 seconds after adhesive applied
to set "go-off" rate as incorrect crush WILL prevent proper main bearing
clearance and engine damage probaby (will) occur... but

and i have not driven one... but i am gonna and soon...

don't pay no attention to me... and remember... these are... MY personal
thots.... ;-)

jam'n