Re: Re: 4.7L Shift Torque Management... was: Farewell Chrysler

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Sun Nov 15 1998 - 23:58:30 EST

>For smooth shifts and to extend component life, the PCM (now called a JTEC
>plus; ed) uses something called shift torque management. During upshifts
>(sounds to me like spirited useage... ) near wide-open throttle, the PCM
>retards spark and shuts off fuel to every other cylinder. To protect
>components, the PCM also practices engine rpm management in relation to
>transmission stall speed. This helps protect components if an operator
>rocks the vehicle or if the transmision is shifted into Drive from Neutral
>at higher rpm."
>
>a drawing representing the pcm... shows inj# 1,4,6,7, lit up with inj#
>8,3,5,2 shut down (dead)
>
>caption: figure 47 - During upshifts near wide-open throttle, the PCM
>retards the spark and shuts off fuel to every other cylinder.
>
>my source:
>
>4.7L Engine Highlights
>page 15
>#9, September '98
>MASTERTECH
>Chrysler Motors
>
>i take such publications seriously...
>
>did i read it wrong... or possibly mis-quote...? don't the tech center guys
>have access to this info from cc... i'm just a bump on the log downtown
>here in greaseville and i got it... :-) (no flames intended, please, 'cept
>maybe at myself :))
>
>my prediciton: a drag racer's future creed... "... love that new shift
>torque management engine rpm management system!, shore 'nuff do!" "if an

All kidding aside (and I do think it's funny...) it sounds like this is all
accomplished within the timeframe of the upshift... so their transmissions
can be built even wimpier, and not slip during a shift....oops... there I
go... to 'smooth' the shift (read soften).

I for one would like to see more 'software' modification equipment out
there... like a little switch that would remove this 'feature' and firm the
shift up... like is available for brand 'C'

Gary Shook