Tonneaus, CD Changers, etc...

From: Scott Rosenzweig (scottr@his.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 15:02:26 EST

I've been lurking for a while, trying to pick up some answers I've had
concerning my new truck(which I may actually get some day assuming
that the Gods at the plant decide ever to build it).

I have a couple of questions. The truck is/will be xcab (I'm getting
rid of my Ford, but the terminology lingers), 4x4, in Solar Yellow. A
rigid tonneau may look pretty funky. Downside, I need to carry a
couple of bikes (people powered kind). Trailer hitch carriers just
provide 6k worth of crush space. I might get a tonneau with a roof
style system mounted on it. The only manufacturer that seems to offer
one stock is A.R.E. Problem is the system is pretty much a no-name
without the features that have become standard (locks, etc...). Anyone
have any luck with mounting a roof rack system on a fibre glass
tonneau?

I ordered the one step up factory stereo with the CD controls. I'm
not hugely critical when it comes to car tunes, but I have had
miserable luck with car radios (last three vehicles combines equaled
about 11 replacements). I need a changer. Can't find any info on the
Mopar unit, which runs $425 or so. For about the same I can get an
aftermarket Alpine that will run with the head unit controls, or I can
save $125 or so and get a Sony that feeds an FM signal. The Mopar
unit provides the longest warranty (factory 3 yrs), but how good a
unit is it? The Alpine is a class unit, but is it worth the premium
over the FM unit (though the dollars involved are truly secondary
compared to the damn truck in the first place). Suggestions?

Extended warranty? As a rule I don't believe in them. Coming from a
bad situation with my Ford (starting two weeks after warranty, 4
clutches, new rear suspension, rebuilt differential) I'm gun shy.
Enough so, that I'm getting my first ever automatic. Should I bite
the bullet and get the extended warranty for $900 or so? This truck
won't get heavy mileage (maybe 10k a year or so). With the exception
of the Ford, we keep our vehicles a long time (avg 10 years). Advice?

Scott