RE: Re: Re:Vortech attn. Frank

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 17:11:36 EST

At 11:08 AM 11/22/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dan,
>I have had two people tell me to contact Ron. One was Danny Crower, and the
>other is a friend of mine that runs a B&M blower on his 350 chev. pickup. He
>is real happy with the chip he got from Ron. His truck is a 94 (OBD). Give
>Ron a call and see of he can help. He is local, I might give him a call
>also. Never talked with him but he is well respected here in Calif. My 95,
>the changes read like a book.
> 5.9L .030 over
> Crane cam
> Crane HI-6 TR - boost retard set to 2 degrees/pound boost
> Crane PS-92 coil
> custom pistons (lower compression)
> ported heads - care of Dave Hughes @ Hughes engines
> port matched intake manifold
> Vortech supercharger (2.75" pulley - boost 6 lbs @ 4,000 rpm)
> Crane roller rockers (1.6/1)
> Bosch injectors
> Superchips custom engine controller
> numerous other little things.

Frank,

What kind of cash outlay does something like that require?? If you don't
mind, of course. I'm wondering because I've been throwing the idea of a
built up motor when mine goes away. I've already started saving pennies.
Question is, know anyone who can build a serious naturally aspirated motor?
 I want a .030 over 5.9 with a stroker crank (3.79 or so), but I don't even
know if MP makes such a crank with the 360 main bearing size. If not, I'll
just build it similar to yours, with the MPI manifold and normal compression.

I would and have built a couple motors, but don't like the idea of being
responsible for it if it goes boom. I'll be in Arizona at ASU or U of A by
the time I get around to this (~1.5 to 2 yrs from now), so if you or anyone
else knows someone who can do this, drop me a line!

I will be upgrading everything else (driveline, etc.) first.

Good idea/bad idea??

Brian