Re: 20 Questions (or so)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 18:19:45 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian <leefam@wcc.net>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Sunday, November 22, 1998 1:36 PM
Subject: DML: 20 Questions (or so)

>Okay fellow DMLers here are a bunch of problems...
>

>First of all I would like to say that the previous owner of my truck kept
>very good records of maintenance he did or had done on the truck. I bought
>it at 77,000 miles(which were trailer towing miles) and it now has 90,000
>miles (which a fair amount are towing and ass hauling miles). 93 Dak CC V8
>2wd...
>
>Okay, now for the questions...
>
>1. I am going to change the tranny fluid and filter over the Thanksgiving
>weekend. Um, just out of curiosity, I checked to see when this was done
>last, NO RECORD OF IT!!!! Is it possible this guy never changed the fluid?
> That's scary. Anything I should be worried about (other than if that's
>true the possibility of my tranny dying)?

  Is it a stick or auto?

If it's a stick, the factory service schedule shows NO FLUID changes for the
NV3500.
I did it at 60k, and used about 4 quarts of Mopar Manual Tranmission Fluid @
$15.50 a
quart!! If it's an auto, he probably had it done at some quick lube place
and never noted
it other than an oil change (motor). Have it changed/checked by a reputable
tranmission
shop, and you'll no the condition.

>2. What type of tranny fluid? Nothing that comes from Pep Boys, cause we
>don't have one. Only two Autozones, a Parts America, and a NAPA.

Dextron II for auto, and use the Mopar Manual Tranmisision Fluid (Aka- Bend
over)
as it's the only fluid recommended.

>3. Nothing in the records about changing the fuel filter either. Could
>this be causing my truck to run lean? It's probably clogged pretty bad -
>it was a ranch truck and all. I plan to take care of this over Christmas.
>If I understand all this, I need to drain the fuel out of the tank, then
>just change the filter, right? Mine is not in the tank, but along the
>frame rail. Now to go along with this, is there a way to clean out the gas
>tank? I know on metal tanks you can get them boiled out at a radiator
>shop, but since mine is made out of plastic resin stuff, how do I do it? I
>think the tank is probably filled with gunk, too.

    It's on the driver's side frame rail, and on my '91 I merely
disconnected
the lines (plugged the fuel lines with a couple of golf tees) , then plugged
the new filter inline... A little messy, but not too bad. I wouldn't worry
too
much about the tank unless the filter is CLOGGED... I have passed
100k on my '95 and still run the original filter :)

Sam '95 SLT