Re: Speaking of Ram air hoods...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 21:39:22 EST

At 07:35 PM 11/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I ran into a bit of a snag with my hood. I found out not to long ago that
>its against company policy for an employee of DC to make and sell "after-
>market" parts for any DaimlerChrysler vehicle. So that may put the kibosh on
>making any hoods for any interested parties. More on this later when I get
>the entire story from the VP.
>Eric

  That's a bummer. :-P Guess you'll have to start looking for loopholes... I
like Glen's idea of really generous and completely unrelated donations from
people who you were nice enough to make free ram-air hoods for. ;-)

  Ok, maybe that isn't subtle enough. What if you were to accidentally
lose your DC parking badge, and every other tuesday, some jerk breaks
into your truck, steals your ram-air hood, and accidentally drops $400
under the driver's seat when he reaches down to pop the hood? ;-)

  Since you'd be making them for the older bodystyle, wouldn't that be
considered making parts for a Chrysler vehicle, not a DaimlerChrysler
vehicle? (Or do they automatically own all the designs and stuff, bla
bla bla?) Seems to me that might be an angle to look into though? That
seems like a pretty stupid rule... Does this mean that you couldn't sell
exhaust tips for a Barracuda or a Challenger? Do you know any lawyers? :-)
Might be worthwhile to get the exact prohibition in writing and have
someone look at it. (I should think that this is something that you would
have had signed when you were employed, otherwise I don't see how they
could expect you to abide by it...) I think companies generally do this
sort of thing by having an employee handbook, and you sign a statement
agreeing to abide by everything in there.

  Well, good luck, anyway! :-)

                                               -Jon-