Re: Dakota suspensions

From: Jim Dille (jdille@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 11:41:42 EST

Norah -
Suspensions are tricky. Bushings, spring rates, shock valving ... all
that stuff has an effect. And since engineers can't leave anything
alone, I'm sure they've changed as much as they could. :)

The problem you describe is a result of the tires losing contact with
the ground when you hit a bump. That's one result of too much unsprung
weight (wheels, tires, axle, etc.) for the spring rate & shocks. If
you can reduce this weight (lighter wheels & tires), you'll improve
ride & handling without affecting load capy.
When you add weight to the truck box, that's SPRUNG weight, and more
is better in terms of ride quality. If you want handling too, then you
have to give up something; usually load capacity.

In stock trim, my 93CC boings quite a bit; esp on corners. I've done
some things that have helped tremendously ... even if that wasn't the
original goal:
- Lowered rear 2" using blocks (recco using hangars, tho!)
- Replaced shocks with Belltech Nitro-Drops
- Added Belltech swaybar with urethane bushings
- Replaced stock 15x6 cast wheels with 15x7 steelies
- Went to a 235/60 tire (General XP2000)
(This wheel/tire combo seems to weigh less than the stockers, but I
haven't measured them.)

Now, the truck almost squirts out of corners. Those wonderful shocks
keep the back tires planted firmly for the most part; the swaybar
helps that a lot, too. If I hit a bump in a corner, it'll still
skitter sideways a bit, but nothing like it used to. Straight-line
driving is also greatly improved. The ride ain't bad, either ... firm,
but not harsh.

But then, maybe your problems is caused by something being loose under
there. Check that out before you do anything drastic.

Good luck!
- Jim