Re: Dakota suspensions

From: Norah Bleazard (nbleazard@home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 11:47:11 EST

Jim Dille wrote:

> Norah -
> Suspensions are tricky. Bushings, spring rates, shock valving ... all
> that stuff has an effect. And since engineers can't leave anything
> alone, I'm sure they've changed as much as they could. :)
>
> The problem you describe is a result of the tires losing contact with
> the ground when you hit a bump. That's one result of too much unsprung
> weight (wheels, tires, axle, etc.) for the spring rate & shocks. If
> you can reduce this weight (lighter wheels & tires), you'll improve
> ride & handling without affecting load capy.
> When you add weight to the truck box, that's SPRUNG weight, and more
> is better in terms of ride quality. If you want handling too, then you
> have to give up something; usually load capacity.
>
> In stock trim, my 93CC boings quite a bit; esp on corners. I've done
> some things that have helped tremendously ... even if that wasn't the
> original goal:
> - Lowered rear 2" using blocks (recco using hangars, tho!)
> - Replaced shocks with Belltech Nitro-Drops
> - Added Belltech swaybar with urethane bushings
> - Replaced stock 15x6 cast wheels with 15x7 steelies
> - Went to a 235/60 tire (General XP2000)
> (This wheel/tire combo seems to weigh less than the stockers, but I
> haven't measured them.)
>
> Now, the truck almost squirts out of corners. Those wonderful shocks
> keep the back tires planted firmly for the most part; the swaybar
> helps that a lot, too. If I hit a bump in a corner, it'll still
> skitter sideways a bit, but nothing like it used to. Straight-line
> driving is also greatly improved. The ride ain't bad, either ... firm,
> but not harsh.
>
> But then, maybe your problems is caused by something being loose under
> there. Check that out before you do anything drastic.
>
> Good luck!
> - Jim

Thanks for all the info Jim. I really appreciate it. I took the Dak
back to the dealership and had them take it for a test drive to see for
himself. Only problem is that he drove it around the dealership area
where the road were just freshly redone and no bumps. So then he
proceed to a parking lot with some speed bumps. The problem with that
was that no one drives that slow on city streets, so it's not a true
replication of the problem. Then he just told me flat out -- it's a
4x4, that's just the way it is. Yeah, yeah!

Jason and I have determined that there is nothing loose underneath, but
because the Dak is only 4 months old and very low mileage on it,
everything is a riding a little stiff right now. I'm hoping that in
time, this will get a little better. I don't want it lowered as we'll
be going off-road quite a bit, so I'm going to add some weight to the
bed and see what happens. I'm not as concerned with a smooth ride as I
am with road worthiness. I guess I'll have to slow down a bit on some
of these roads that seem to have too many potholes and/or raised manhole
covers. I think our roads seem to be sinking quite a bit.

Thanks again,
Norah

--
current:  '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 CC V8/5.2L/Auto
current:  '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd