Mileage improved on the R/T

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Sun Nov 29 1998 - 15:09:34 EST

Hey all -

I went to my Grandmother's house in Southwest VA this Turkey Day and wanted
to try an experiment to see if I could get the MPG up on the R/T from my
past best on the 700 mile trip to FL.

If you remember , when I went to FL , I ran with the a/c off , at a steady
75-80 MPH and only got about 14.5-15MPG. On the way back , I stayed unser
70 and got 15.5.

Well , what I did on this trip (about 400 miles each way) was to not go
over 60MPH. I theorized that at 60, I would get my best mileage and that it
goes down exponentially above 60. Well on the R/T with the 3.92 gears , you
turn exactly 2000RPMs at 60.

On the way up, I filled up just before getting on the interstate with
premium fuel (93 octane). I ran with the cruise set on 60 and ran it for
about 190 miles before stopping to refill and check the mileage.

On my first stop, I calculated 18.3MPG !!!

I was kind of amazed.

On the way back , I filled up with Chevron Premium, and I got 19.8MPG!!!!

Talk about shocked !

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that if you can put up with
driving 60 in an R/T (I HATED it!) , then you CAN get decent mileage .

Later

BTW- She has 11000 miles on her now , she had about 8000 when I went to FL.

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net