Re: Mileage improved on the R/T

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 28 1998 - 23:14:34 EST

Just did a trip in my wife's RT... 160 miles from San Diego, CA. to Yuma,
AZ.
Had the cruise set at 70 mph, through 80 miles of mountains, and 80 miles of
flatland (with about a 20 mph tailwind/crosswind). 9.5 gallons/160 miles=
16.8 mpg vs.
16 mpg by the computer. An hour later did the same trip back... This time
had about a
30 mph head/cross wind, did the 14 mile climb from -050' to 3500' from the
desert into
the mountains... Then fought rain/SNOW/fog and 50 mph winds back through
the mountains
back to San Diego... Did some driving around town today, and ran the ETE
to ZERO... I was
sweating it, but figured on the 14 mpg average by the computer (times 20
gallons would give
me a 280 mile range, with 2 gallons to spare). I went 285 miles, and put
exactly 20.000 gallons
(I be a high school graduate :) 14.25 mpg actual vs. 14.00 on the computer.
Pretty good.

So, for people with the overhead computer, you CAN run to ETE 0 and not fear
of running out of
gas immediately, but still should consider that you only have 1-2 gallons of
gas remaining. It'd be
a good idea to have a feel for you trucks average mpg, and then be able to
figure you range based
on that (for emergencies).

Jack, On my '95 I've gotten 22.6 mpg.... Following my mother in law (while
she was towing a 5th wheel),
and I had the cruise set at 45 mph for about 3 hours of a 6 hour drive...
Talk about a long drive!!! On a 3.90
axle, 5 speed, V8 the best mpg/speed combo is 2400 rpm (67 mph)... Running
70 mph drops 1 mpg, and running 80 mph drops 3 mpg... I should know, I have
my entire 100700 mile mileage history...

Sam '95 SLT
Sonya '99 RT