Re: K&N dissapointment

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 01:48:02 EST

Ah, but the crux of the problem is:
 The junk that gets through, is a problem. It does not burn up,
it gets into the OIL, likely via washing down the cylinder walls,
and once in the oil, visits all the bearing surfaces. If it
"did nothing" then I'd have no extra silicon in the engine.
  I didn't test the oil till after 10k miles, it's had 3 oil changes
prior to this one, and now I'll use a paper filter, and if the
silicon level drops, the K&N goes back.

> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 02:37:39 -0500
> From: "Mike D." <miggitymike@juno.com>
> Subject: Re: DML: K&N dissapointment
>
> I'm just gonna' say that I've run a drop in K&N for 2 years now and never
> had a problem. Lookin' to go to an open element here soon, sill gonna'
> stick with K&N. You can look at a K&N and see tha more stuff is gonna' go
> though it. The pours on it are huge! Most of the stuff that goes through
> it will be burned up in your engine anyway.... guess I'm just stubborn

> Well, after running about 8,000 on my new, factory replacement,
> K & N, I did a oil change on my first batch of Mobil 1.
> (installed at 10K) I had 5k on the oil, and mailed a sample
> in to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis. It came back yesterday
> (Friday) with the following highlights:
> Silicon is above normal levels, check your fresh air system.
> Lead is higher than iron, lead is from bearings.
>
> Ack!! this means grit is getting past the filter, I pulled it out
> today between rain showers, and look through it. Yes, THROUGH it.
> I can easily see about 5% daylight clear through it. That sucker is
> going back. It may flow well, and sound cool, but it lets too much
> dirt through for me. I only have 15K on this 98 DAK, and I need to
> have it last a long time (18 yrs or so).
> feedback / comments welcome.

 reference:
http://www.knfilters.com/
http://amsoil.com/