K&N dissapointment

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Sat Nov 28 1998 - 16:53:44 EST

Well, after running about 8,000 on my new, factory replacement,
K & N, I did a oil change on my first batch of Mobil 1.
(installed at 10K) I had 5k on the oil, and mailed a sample
in to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis. It came back yesterday
(Friday) with the following highlights:
Silicon is above normal levels, check your fresh air system.
Lead is higher than iron, lead is from bearings.

Ack!! this means grit is getting past the filter, I pulled it out
today between rain showers, and look through it. Yes, THROUGH it.
I can easily see about 5% daylight clear through it. That sucker is
going back. It may flow well, and sound cool, but it lets too much
dirt through for me. I only have 15K on this 98 DAK, and I need to
have it last a long time (18 yrs or so).
  feedback / comments welcome.
I also finally had a mechanic friend of mine pull the factory
plugs out, they were stuck in awfully tight. I have a new set in,
gapped at .050 and now I'll see if Jacobs ing systems are any good.
had the spark computer and 8.5mm wires in for about a month, but
couldn't get the plugsout on my own.
Mike (Lost Angeles)

--
" I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a
     nominee that will beat Bill Clinton in 2000. "