RE:99 Dakota Questions

From: Weingart, Robert F (Robert) (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 14:35:08 EST

Fish-

Here is my $0.02. I was always under the impression that you should break
in a motor on "dino" oil and then switch to synthetic. In fact, when I got
my RAM that is what I did (Dino up to 2K and then switch to Syntec).
This past summer, I toured the Dodge Viper plant in Mich. I noticed that
the oil fill caps on the V10 and the Prowler motors say that it comes with
Mobil 1. I asked the Engineer giving the tour if the motors are broken in
on regular oil first and then switched. He said no! He said that the
motors are dyno tested and shipped to the Viper plant with Mobil 1. I asked
about the possibility of rings not seating correctly and all the other
statements about breaking in w/ synthetic. To that he said, "Have you heard
of any Vipers with those problems?" Has anyone? I haven't. This was from
an Engineer and not just a factory worker.
So, my next new vehicle will be on Syntec from the day I get it home.

Thanks,
Rob

<<<
Hi, I've been on the list for a few weeks since I picked up my '99 CC Dakota
SLT+, 5.2, 4x4, but decided to delurk to ask a couple of questions of the
collective DML wisdom.

I just hit 600 miles and figured that's probably about right to get the
metal
shavings out of the oilpan. Should I use dino or synthetic oil? On my
beemer
bike, it was recommended that I stick with dino until 12K miles. Is that
the
case on an american V8 too?

I've seen a number of folks have replaced their mufflers with catback
systems,
and the name Gibson comes up quite a bit. Is there a real performance
improvement
and/or MPG improvement with that change? Or is it just to make the truck
sound cool?