I´m back!

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 03:32:06 EST

Long time subscribers may remember me. Anyway, I´ve resubscribed, and I
have a curious problem that I wonder if any other owners have encountered.

But first, let me introduce my Dak. ´93 Club Cab, V8, Emerald Green 4x4.
More details in my DML profile, or for the asking.

The curious problem: I have a cracked front differential carrier.
I don´t know when or how this happened, and I believe it must be due to a
flaw in manufacture. I discovered it when I changed fluid, found some metal
bits, and started inspecting things a bit more closely. The carrier (the
part that carries the spider gears) is cracked through on both legs. The
cramped space in the diff is keeping the whole thing in engagement, but the
spider gears show a bit of unusual wear from no doubt not being in proper
alignment. The fracture junction is where the metal bits seem to be from,
and as the parts work against one another, they´ll eventually slip, dumping
spider gears out, where the ring and pinion will chew them up.

Clearly, I need to fix this pronto, and won´t be going offroad until I do.

Anyone have a lead on a used Chrysler 7.25" diff? Anyone know if the
carrier is different for front axle versus rear axle applications? This is
the same diff they fit on Jeep TJ´s now, isn´t it?

Jim
(from San Diego, CA)