Re: Re: 97 brake rotors

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 13:45:31 EST

>>From my experience (mine are warped too, after only 20k!)...Stock OEM rotors
>last the longest.. Second, to avoid the warpage that I am experiencing now,
>have the
>rims bolted back on by hand/torque wrench ONLY, and not an air wrench.

>6/97 - 66900 miles - had warped rotors turned (mistake), new front pads,
>1/98 - 82525 miles - warped rotors again.. New rotors, new front pads, rears
>10/98 - 94000 miles - warped rotors again... (actually felt warped 3-4
>12/2 - 101100 miles - still warped, don't care--- push pedal opposite

I´ve had really good luck with the NAPA rotors, although I´ve had to
replace them
twice in a row now, since I was putting the NAPA Lifetime Warranty pads on
wrong
and they wore out too quickly on one side.

Anyway, I have a MoPar rotor on one side that must have 100k miles on it,
and the
NAPA rotor on the other. I used a surface hone to even up the surfaces, but
it´s
not worth turning them (NAPA rotor was $60, or 2/3 the labor of turning).

I think one of the keys to avoiding warpage is how you tighten the lugs. I
use a
good impact wrench with adjustable torque, but I tighten in a cross-pattern,
like you´re supposed to tighten head bolts.

Even doing this, the rotors on the truck from the factory warped.

Jim