Re: Help ! Blowing oil out.

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 18:43:47 EST

Phillip -

I don't know if I would even bother with another 4-banger if it has 75K on
it , even though it's only $500 . You are just going to have the same
problem down the road .

If I were you , I would at least try and find a V6 for the truck , if you
get one used , you can probably find one for around the same price and it
will last alot longer . Be careful of the year engine that you put in the
truck because of the ever tightening state of Georgia emmisions constraints
, I know cuz I live just south of the city in Newnan .

I'll see if I can look around and help you locate a motor locally , but I
do not know off hand if the V6 is a direct bolt in .

I do know where there is an '89 Dak sport for sale for somewhere in the $3k
range too .

Contact me via private e-mail and aybe we can get something done .

At 06:11 PM 12/3/98 EST, you wrote:
>My 1989 Dakota 4-cyl is now blowing oil out the top very bad. I checked
>around and theres plenty of vacuum at the pcv valve, so everyone I spoke
>with says its probably a cracked piston or ring.
>I was told a rebuilt 4-cyl would cost almost $2000 installed. I found a
>1991 4-cyl engine (with 75,000 miles on it) at a scrap yard for $500.
>Will the 91 fit ok? I wouldn't mind finding a decent V-6 if it would
>mate up ok. I have a 5-speed. This is a 2-wd truck.
>Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Also, I'm near Atlanta but the used engine is in NE Alabama (near my
>folks). I guess I'll try to get someone up there to help me swap it out
>this weekend.
>Thanks again,
>Philip

W . Jack Hilton III