Re: SC vs N20 opinion

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 19:50:48 EST

In a message dated 12/3/98 12:15:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, ashort@flash.net
writes:

<< OK, here's what I know about N20 & SC's. 1st N20 can be made safer with
 the N20 mastermind. It will 1) retard spark for N20 2) not release N20
 unless spark IS retarded 3) not release N20 if lean condition exhists 4)
 release N20 at adjustable rpm limits both on/off for launch control &
 rev limiter. >>

Hmmmmm some thoughts here from my experiences. The Nitrous mastermind requires
a aftermarket ignition fer shurrr. I bought a NMM with my nitrous system
originally but then found out that it needed the aftermarket ignition and
Jacobs wanted $400 +. I talked to Jacobs Tech support and told them what I had
and what I wanted to do with it and asked will this unit do all that it says
on my truck (93 Dak V8) if I get the igniton also, they told me NO that it
will not properly retard the timing on the magnum engines that the computer
picks it up and eliminates the retard . I took the NMM back and went with the
stock computer at the time. The stock computer worked very well (13.33 stock
comp and street tires) the only problem was the rev limiter at 5500 which in
drive would hit on RL 2 to 3 shift. I went with the MP comp and MSD with MS
retard set up which does work to get by the revlimiter but does hurt the
performance atleast when not running N2O and probably does with it. The
mastermind does not come with all needed, you need the Fuel Pressure switch
and I'm not sure it will still work right as it is designed for carburetor
setups with low fuel pressures. It could be OK, don't know for shurrrr. I do
not like the way it meters N2O as it pulses the solenoids which causes
excessive wear and can cause other problems so I've been told ?? Anyway I
scrapped the NMM setup. I have a MSD RPM switch with adjustable chips, one
chip is adjustable up to 3000 RPM others are not adjustable but set RPM 3200,
3400, ect. I normally used the N2O with BFG DR's , I have stock 2000 stall TC
and set the adj. RPM switch to about 2400 RPM this gets me moving and off the
line in good shape without much abuse and the automatically brings in the
juice at 2400, then you just hang on and fly :-) Without the BFG DR's I use a
3400 (usually) which gets me a little further off the line before the juice,
then you hang on and fly :-) I have total confidence in NOS and their systems,
they have excellent tech support and do not build setups that will destroy the
vehicles they are intended for. Any problems or questions and they are more
than willing to help you, especially Mike Flynn as he is the best Tech guy
I've talked to. If you set it up as instructed, use it as instructed and you
should have no problems.

Now SC's I did a couple of years research on both as I had originally planned
a SC but after much research decided on the N2O. The SC's are far more
expensive (atleast initially and I figured where the break even point would be
if ever and it was probably long after the vehicle would be gone from my
ownership), Lot more work to installed, not easily removed, cause a lot of
heat which creates lots of problems and is difficult to get consistent runs
without long cool downs, and the ones I am familiar with on Daks blow head
gaskets frequently ?? There was a fellow who races at the same track I go to
on Wed eveneings that had a 94 with Vortec SC, a bunch of electronics to try
to control it, and brought it in on a trailer because it took to long to cool
it down if he drove it to get any good runs. I planned to have a shootout with
him on this one week but he got there early and blew another head gasket
before I got there. Never seen him again but he told me that the SC's did that
quite often ???

<<All
together, I like N20, only there when I say so, instead of all the time
like SC. As far as engine damage, these are both race parts, setup right
they can be plenty reliable, setup wrong and BOOM, any way you slice it.
I love the smell of Nitrous in the morning..., it smells like VICTORY!>>

I have to agree here, especially about the smell :-) To each their own but N2O
does it for me and I am very happy with it.

Bill