Re: Re: Why can't we all just get along? & other questions

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Sat Dec 05 1998 - 11:46:42 EST

>>Sam, Your not a bean counter are you??? Bob
>>

>No, but I do look at the $$ aspect of buying a car
>pretty thoroughly... Never tell them you are financing
>the car... Never tell them what you are willing to pay
>a month.. (a give away)... Always know what you can afford
>before you go in, and have them commit to a price on the
>vehicle... Once that is done, then work the financing
>part out... Most all dealerships financial dept. work on
>commission. They mark up the bank rates... So if you went
>to Wells Fargo, 9.5% advertised new car rate, the dealership
>will tack on .5% or more in their offer. The monthly payment
>you are willing to make allows them more room to work with on
>the financial side.. That's why dealerships would rather you
>do the financing through them (most of the time).. They make a
>profit on the sale, and the financing.
>
>Sam '95 SLT

This is another thing I didn't do... we got pre-approved for what we wanted
to pay at a local credit union, and got the dealer to quote a price on the
phone... we then picked up the paperwork from the dealer (invoice) and
brought it to the credit union, and after signing our life away, we get a
cashier's check, and as far as the dealer's concerned, we paid CASH... and
we got a better interest rate than the dealer could have at the time.

Gary Shook